Story behind the Stories- Bridge of Memories

I am back with my seventh anecdote. Only two more to go.
Into the Light releases the day after tomorrow. The purchase links are at the bottom of this post.

Bridge of Memories

Bridge of memories is a story about second chances and time. It is a love story that unfolds in one scene. A bridge is the central location of the story and an important part of the theme. Bridge of memories is the shortest story in this book. I wrote it within an hour. It encapsulates a situation that I have always wanted to write about.

Recently, I have been watching a lot of Korean dramas. They’re the craze now and I’ve always been a fan of East Asian cinema. A lot of dramas have the Han river in Seoul as the setting. The bridge on Han river often features as a central theme in the dramas. I figured it makes sense to write about bridges.

There are many famous bridges in the western world too like the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and the Tower Bridge in London. Though they are hotspots for tourists, they don't occupy a central spot in romantic literature. They carry more glamour and less meaning. That is why I decided to include a bridge as the central theme of the story.

The topic of love, of course, is eternally in demand. It is also a great topic to write about. Bridge of memories, like the other human interest stories in this book seeks to examine society and humanity under a lens. This story narrows the range down to a single event.

The story also has a minor theme of work-life balance. Work-life balance is a hotly debated and popular topic. I think that over time, we, as a society have moved towards better work life balance. The story is set in the 80s or 90s when work-life balance wasn’t considered as important.

I will be back with another story on the 29th. Thank you for reading this post. I am still running a giveaway on BookLikes. This is the last chance to win a copy of Into the Light. You can enter on my blog (link on the right side) or bootlicks.

Bridge of memories is Chapter 6 of Into the Light. You can watch the trailer below. I will see you again soon with another anecdote.  Follow ‘The Story behind stories’ series on my blog or through my social media. If you want to support me, click on the link below to purchase ‘Into the Light’, my debut short story collection that contains ‘Bridge of memories’ and eight other stories.

Purchase Links:

Amazon Kindle Store (US): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QEPPBS

Lulu Store (Paperback): http://www.lulu.com/shop/p-wish/into-the-light/paperback/product-22390299.html

iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/into-the-light/id1044039341?mt=13

Amazon (USA): http://www.amazon.com/Into-Light-collection-short-stories/dp/151773309X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444562137&sr=8-1&keywords=into+the+light+p+wish