Book Review- The Art of Social Media by Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick

The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users - Guy,  Fitzpatrick,  Peg Kawasaki

I am a big fan of Guy Kawasaki's works. I must confess that I've read all of this books. I still remember reading Art of the Start seven years ago. His books are full of self deprecating humour, practical advice and the essential reality check. I read this one almost three weeks ago. The art of social media is a very short book compared to most of his other works. It is also heavy on images and easy on the text. However, don't let that fool you. This book is packed with information. I finished reading the book within an hour and was stunned at the amount of learning I did within that hour. Guy packs a punch with this little book. Because the book has so many images, links and headings, it is easy to read and digest. There chapters are very well structured and full of headings and sub-headings. The only complaint I have is that he throws in a lot of self promotion.  I have been visiting Alltop almost everyday since finishing this book. I guess the promotion worked.

Guy breaks down the art of social media for the newbie. Since I am new to social media, the book helped me immensely. I bought the hard copy but I think the ebook would've been more beneficial since the book is packed with links. The book is organised into sections. The second last chapter detailing specific strategies for each social media platform (Facebook, G+, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest etc.) was very useful. The last chapter contains a basic plan to promote your upcoming book on social media. As a writer, I found that really helpful. I enjoyed the fact that the book was very action oriented. You appreciate the book more once you begin putting the tips into practice.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to make the most of social media. I am glad I read this book. It is the best introduction to social media marketing. I urge you to give this book a try.