Book Review- Malice

Malice: A Mystery - Keigo Higashino, Alexander O. Smith

Malice is a gripping murder mystery by Japanese author Keigo Higashino. I have read his other mystery works (Devotion of Suspect X and Salvation of a Saint) and loved them. That is why, I decided to give this book a go. Malice has a beautiful cover (bloody cherry blossoms) that drew me to the book. This is the first translated book from Higashino's Detective Kaga series. I loved the way the book was written. It goes back and forth between the criminal and the detective's versions of the events, ultimately culminating in a satisfying conclusion. The story was way more complex than what he lets out in the beginning. That is his trademark style.

The writing style is simple. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication- this statement is most directly applicable to mysteries. A lot of mystery writers bore the reader by adding unnecessary description and mundane dialogue that does little to move the story. Higashino however, uses little description. His writing gets straight to the point and keeps the reader entertained at all times. Even his daily conversations appear interesting and meaningful. On a side note, he paints a real and convincing portrait of modern Japanese society. Since this book involved authors, I found it even more absorbing.

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of mystery and detective fiction. I finished the book in one day because it was so addictive. The twists and turns are worth your time.